Celebrating the diversity of Manitoba’s history, nature, and science, we want you to create your very own “moment in time.”
The Manitoba Museum’s dioramas are some of our most popular exhibits. These three-dimensional models capture a moment in time and demonstrate the connections between humans and nature.
This year, the Manitoba Museum is celebrating our 50th anniversary, and we are encouraging classrooms and families to join in the celebrations by creating their own mini dioramas.
Deadline for submissions: May 1, 2020
(NEW EXTENDED DEADLINE)
Choose between our two categories, SCHOOL or FAMILY, for a chance to win either an all-access field trip (for use anytime before June 2021), or a family membership.
Winners will be randomly-selected and commented on by our panel of Museum Diorama Experts.
Participating projects may be featured on the Museum’s social media.
- Dioramas must be Manitoba-themed (Person, Event, Animal, Mineral, or Plant!).
- Diorama recommended dimensions are a Standard Shoe Box, but the maximum size is 12”x 24” (Boot Box).
- Dioramas can be created to any scale.
- You can work on your own, as team with your whole class, in smaller groups, or with your family.
- Students who completed a project in the SCHOOL category are welcome to create a second diorama for the FAMILY (Please note you cannot enter the same diorama in both categories.)
- Post pictures of your diorama and describe the moment in time it represents on your own social media channels, tagging @manitobamuseum with our hashtag #manitobamuseumathome
To enter, please send the following information and a photo of your diorama to Corinne at [email protected]:
- Diorama Title
- Description of Diorama (50 words or less)
- Name of Child/Student
- Name of School (if applicable)
- Name of Teacher (if applicable)
- Please specify if you are submitting your diorama for the SCHOOL or FAMILY category
- May 1: Deadline for submissions
- May 5 – 11: Voting by our Museum Diorama Experts
- May 12 (Manitoba Day): Winner Announced!
What’s the Prize?
- SCHOOL Category: An All-Access Pass for Your Class (max 30 students)
- FAMILY Category: A Family Membership
Helpful hints for creating your diorama:
- Pick a subject! (Make sure it has something to do with Manitoba).
- Get INSPIRED – Learn about your subject.
- What story are you trying to tell?
- Where does your subject live, or where did this event take place?
- When did this event take place?
- Make a list of any important actions that are going to take place in your diorama or important items that you should include.
- Collect items such as figurines, or make objects out of recycled materials or play dough to help tell your story.
- Find a shoe box and flip it on its side.
- Decorate the background with paint and/or construction paper. Draw a picture for the background.
- Place your objects in shoebox. You can also hang object from the top of your box with string or tape.
Introducing the Manitoba Museum Diorama Contest! Celebrating the diversity of Manitoba’s history, nature, and science, we want you to create your very own “m…
Like these Kid’s Activites !!! Check out the official app http://apple.co/1ThDIrx Watch more Craft Ideas for Kids videos: http://www.howcast.com/videos/38345…
Les dioramas du Musée du Manitoba sont quelques-unes de nos expositions les plus populaires. Ces modèles tridimensionnels capturent un moment dans le temps e…
What is a diorama? Corinne from the Manitoba Museum Learning & Engagement department explains – while also sharing which one of our diorama’s is her favourit…
Stay Connected to [email protected]
Subscribe to our E-Newsletter
Follow Us on Social Media
Don’t forget to use and search for the hashtag