Winnipeg, MB (March 14, 2019): The Manitoba Museum is open every day during Spring Break and families are invited to come and play the Museum’s version of a classic game – Rock, Paper, Fossils! Spring Break, presented by BMO, offers programs March 23 to 31 between 10 am and 5 pm.
In addition to all your Museum favourites – the bison diorama, the renewed Nonsuch Gallery, and the Charlie Chaplin films – you’ll also get to see fossil treasures from across Canada, like a T. Rex skull, with a newly opened exhibition Museum’s Choice: Fossil Favourites From Across Canada, assembled by the Alliance of Natural History Museums of Canada.
Interactive exhibits offer fun for everyone in the Science Gallery, including the Brickyard: Build with LEGO Bricks, the Engineered for Speed Race Track, and the new geometry-themed Explore Science Zone, Where X meets Why?
Visit the Planetarium to learn about the current night sky, sing long with Fred Penner, and take in our new feature show, Ice Worlds.
Here are the highlights of what’s going on just for Spring Break at the Manitoba Museum, presented by BMO:
March 23 to 31 • 10 am – 5 pm
- Crafts in Alloway Hall: Inspired by the Museum’s Choice: Fossil Favourites From Across Canada exhibit, join us for family-friendly art making and create your own 3D paper trilobite or rock art.
- Rock, Paper Fossils Scavenger Hunt in the Museum Galleries: Search for rocks, paper, and fossils in the galleries for a chance to win a daily BMO prize pack!
- Dino Dig in the Earth History Gallery: Junior paleontologists will enjoy searching for fossils in our dig pit and learn about dinosaurs.
- Where X Meets Why? in the Explore Science Zone: Learn what 3D shapes look like if you slice them; if a circular wheel is the only way to have a smooth ride; and more.
Friday, March 29 ONLY • 1 pm – 4 pm
- Rock & Fossil Ancient Road Show in the Museum Galleries: Think you have an unusual rock or a rare fossil? Show your treasure to our Curator of Geology and Paleontology and find out.
- Meteorite Petting Zoo in the Science Gallery: Come and touch real meteorites from space with meteorite hunter and author Ralph Croning.
- In My Backyard with Fred Penner: Daily: 11 am & 1 pm
- Ice Worlds: Daily: 2 pm & 4 pm
- Zula Patrol: Down To Earth: Daily: NOON & 3 pm