Curriculum Target Grade: 2
Suitable for Grades: 1-4
Students learn about Winnipeg’s Indigenous roots and see how our community has grown and changed over time as they help build a map. Students are then taken on a live tour of the Winnipeg Gallery cityscape to see what Winnipeg looked like 100 years ago.
- S-204: Use simple timelines to organize information chronologically.
- S-206: Interpret maps that include a title, legend, and symbols.
- KI-004: Identify the defining characteristics of communities.
- KI-005: Describe characteristics of their local communities.
- KI-006: Identify cultural groups in their local communities.
- KI-008: Recognize that stories of their elders, groups, and communities help shape who they are.
- KI-008A: Recognize that their Elders, ancestors, and communities connect them to the past, present, and future.
- KI-013: Recognize that Aboriginal, francophone, and other cultural communities are part of the Canadian community.
- KI-015: Recognize that a variety of languages are spoken in Canada.