The Manitoba Museum volunteer program enriches and expands the services of the Museum and provides the opportunity for community participation through the selective placement of qualified and trained volunteers. Museum volunteers work on a part-time basis without financial remuneration.
We have opportunities for weekday and weekend volunteers throughout the year in the Museum’s public areas, assisting us with a number of interpretive activities. If you are available for half a day during the week, opportunities are also available in Education Programs or some of the ‘behind the scenes’ areas of the Museum including our human and natural history departments. The Museum is not open in the evenings.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR MUSEUM VOLUNTEER WORK
- An interest in the Museum, Science Gallery or Planetarium
- Completion of the Volunteer Application Form and an in-person interview with the Volunteer Resources Manager. References may be required. Applicants under the age of 18 require written consent from a parent or guardian
- Skills specified in the volunteer job description
- Able to make time commitment
- Willing to accept direction and supervision of Museum staff
- Regular volunteers: minimum one-half day bi-weekly. Positions requiring extensive training require a one-year commitment
- Occasional volunteers: on call for special, short-term events a few times a year
Volunteers provide a regular commitment of time, ranging from one half-day bi-weekly to several days per week. The Museum is open to the public six days a week during the fall and winter months and seven days a week over the summer, and volunteers assist at all times. The minimum commitment of three months is required in most volunteer positions, however because of the extended training necessary for certain positions, longer commitments are sometimes required. All the “behind the scenes” volunteer positions, including the research departments, are only available Monday-Friday during normal business hours.
Volunteers are placed in appropriate jobs according to their knowledge, skills, interests and availability. After completing the Volunteer Application Form, please call 988-0633 to arrange a time for us to get together and talk about where you might fit into the Museum’s volunteer program.